May 5, 2019

Introduction


When our family moved to St. Petersburg and purchased a home in the Jungle Country Club subdivision in 1998, we knew very little about the history of the neighborhood. We came to learn that our property was formerly part of a historic golf course that was in operation from 1916-1944.


The Jungle Country Club was one of the earliest examples of a planned golf course community, with residences overlooking and within the boundaries of the course. We learned that Babe Ruth and other notables of the era frequented the course and we began to wonder if the most famous celebrity of those days might have walked on our property.

Eventually, I located a map of the course and found that our home was near the 6th green, confirming that Babe Ruth was, indeed, here in the 1920’s and 30’s with his golf bag filled with niblicks, brassies, cleeks, mashies, lofters, and jiggers – not to mention the Tampa cigars and bootleg booze. 

During my search for the course layout, I ran across many other interesting facts – some significant and some trivial - about the country club, the neighborhood, and the history of golf.

There have been many well researched books written about the history of St. Petersburg and the Jungle area. They were a starting point in my search for the details of my home’s place in history - details that would not be of much interest to the average reader, but are meaningful to me, my family, and perhaps my neighbors.

I hope you enjoy the blog.

Babe Ruth at the Jungle Country Club 1931 (colorized)




The golf course was located in west St. Petersburg, the boundaries were 22nd Ave N (North) to 5th Ave N (South) and Country Club Road (West) to 74th St (East)