September 10, 2019

What Was Babe Ruth Doing in My Front Yard?

My presentation to the Azalea Homes Community Association on September 9, 2019.

 Exhibit 1 - Babe Ruth golfing in front of the Jungle Hotel (now Admiral Farragut Academy) 

I retired a couple of years ago and decided I wanted to find an answer to a question that I’ve been thinking about for a long time.

Did Babe Ruth walk across my lawn?

Well, I discovered that our home on Farragut Drive was near the 6th green of the Jungle Country Club Golf Course.

This is a picture of Babe Ruth playing golf in front of the Jungle Hotel, now Admiral Farragut Academy.

We all know there was a golf course here many years ago

And that Babe Ruth played on the course –

He would arrive in town before spring training to play golf
The Jungle course was said to be his favorite
He would play golf before and during spring training in February and March
Over 10 years, he probably played the course 100 times.
_____________________________________________________________


Exhibit 2 - Golf Course Map circa 1920

I found this 1920 map of the golf course in the Pinellas County Plat Book
It shows street names - Park Street, Bogie, Par, Stimie, Country Club Road

Golf Creek follows the same path down Farragut Drive as it does today
By the way, that ditch down the center of Farragut Drive has a name
Call the city and ask them – they will tell you it is Golf Creek
There’s a Golf Creek Park on Dartmouth Avenue and Park Street

Also on the map there is a Dufferstroke Lane and Niblick Avenue
_____________________________________________________________

Exhibit 3 - Golf course map superimposed on current street map

This is the golf course map superimposed on the current street map
Larger version on my website, which I will tell you how to get to in a minute
Street names line up between the maps - except Dufferstroke Lane, which I can’t find on the current map
Golf Creek follows same path down Farragut Drive as it does today

_____________________________________________________________

Exhibit 4 - Gallery on 5th green - colorized

I found that our home overlooks the 6th green.

This is a colorized picture of the gallery at the St. Petersburg Open tournament on the 5th green at 1100 Farragut Drive March 6, 1930.

I showed all this to my wife and she said I should make this available on the internet so that other people could look at it.

So now I have a website where I have posted the maps and other stuff.

I left some cards on the front table with the web address.


According to Golf magazine, who was the most popular golfer in the 1920’s and 30’s?

Was it Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen, Bobby Jones, or some other guy?
_____________________________________________________________

Exhibit 5 - Babe Ruth golfing (colorized photo)


According to Golf Magazine… Remember this guy? Babe Ruth.
He was often photographed playing golf
He did more to popularize the sport than any of the pro golfers in his day
He could hit a golf ball 360 yards (3 ½ football fields), but he couldn’t putt worth a darn




Who hit the longest golf shot?


_____________________________________________________________
Exhibit 6 - Alan Shepard on the moon (photoshopped)

Alan Shepard hit a golf ball on the moon
We don’t know exactly how far it went
possibly 2 miles - it’s considered the unofficial record
And where did he go to school? … Admiral Farragut Academy
_____________________________________________________________

Exhibit 7 - Babe Ruth birthday party, Jungle Hotel

Babe Ruth’s birthday party became an annual tradition at the Jungle Hotel. (Read caption)

So, there is a lot of history in our neighborhood.

I have posted the maps on my website so you can find where your home is on the golf course.

And there is a lot of other neighborhood information that I found.

Old postcards and photos.
Rare films from the Jungle Hotel.
Wildlife pictures from around the neighborhood.
Peacock sightings.
Old 1920’s jazz from the band that played at the Gangplank speakeasy on 1700 Park Street.
Archaeology.
And a lot of other neighborhood stuff.

If anyone has stories, pictures or memorabilia to share, please let me know and I can add it to the site.

There’s information about the website on the front table… and in my pocket.