December 5, 2021

Snowy Egrets Revisited

Recently, snowy egrets have been visiting Jungle Country Club Creek on a daily basis. I counted at least eight of them in the creek at one point. I have been taking pictures, but they don't photograph very well in bright sunlight (the birds are too white). This morning it was overcast, so I was able to get some better shots. Fortunately, when I started taking pictures one of the well-plumed birds in the creek pushed the others aside ‒ like he's hogging the camera shot. 

Not all snowy egrets have ornate plumage. In the spring and summer, adult birds grow the long, lacy plumes to attract mates. 

In the early twentieth century, the birds were nearly hunted to extinction for their attractive plumes which were used to adorn hats. The plume trade was outlawed in 1910 and the snowy egret population has recovered and thrived.

I've yet to take the perfect shot with the ideal focus and background, but these images are an improvement from my previous efforts.