December 31, 2022

Making History: The Blog's Year in Review


All of the goals I set for this blog were achieved in 2022, but there is still some history to be made, so stay tuned... 


In The Beginning...

By the time I published my first post to this blog on May 19, 2019, I had already made considerable progress in researching the history of our neighborhood. 

Babe Ruth

Were the rumors true that Babe Ruth golfed here and perhaps walked across my lawn? 

I discovered maps, aerial photographs, and newspaper clippings that confirm that the Greatest Of All Time played golf in our neighborhood. He was in my front yard and he crossed the Farragut ditch hundreds of times. Newspapers reported on Babe Ruth's activities here during the Roaring Twenties. The Jungle Country Club golf course became nationally famous.

A Mission

The Azalea neighborhood's history had been largely forgotten and many people, including Azalea neighbors, were not certain if we were even a part of the historic Jungle area. 

According to the tax deed, our home is in the Jungle Country Club subdivision – as are nearly all homes in the Azalea neighborhood. I was determined to raise awareness of the neighborhood's glorious but unheralded history. 

The creek in front of my house merited a dignified name and I was on a mission to stamp the Jungle Country Club's history on it. In addition to writing this blog, I canvassed the neighborhood and started a petition. I made presentations to the Azalea Neighborhood Association and the Jungle Terrace Civic Association. 

2022

In 2022 my efforts paid off. With help from the Azalea Neighborhood Association, I applied for a grant from CONA for two "Jungle Country Club Creek" signs. The grant was approved and signs were installed in August.

West side luminaries under the new "Jungle Country Club Creek" sign. Dr. Ed Carlson (president, Jungle Terrace Civic Association), Steve Elftmann (board member, Azalea Neighborhood Association), Dominick Griesi (president, Azalea Neighborhood Association), Robert Blackmon (former district 1 council member and mayoral candidate), Copley Gerdes (with daughter, district 1 council member), David and Catie Anderson (Jungle Prada tour guides), James Giering (South Pasadena historian).



Next, I contacted Google Maps to request a public label for the creek. Within a few hours, I received a notice that the request was accepted. I looked on Google Maps and the label was there! A click on the label allows visitors to view images of the beautiful wildlife that frequents the creek and they are directed to this blog for further information.




It Gets Better

New York Times best selling author Randy Wayne White contacted me in September after finding the blog. He was writing the welcome message for the new Doc Ford's Jungle Terrace restaurant and he includes this on the menu's back page: 

...historian “Steve-Of-The-Jungle” Elftmann (his chosen name) provides a timeline he spent years compiling, yet he’s allowed me to steal it in return for a free drink or two.

Doc Ford patrons who are interested in the area's history will be able to find this blog to learn more.


Current Statistics:

Blog views: 42,806

Photo views on Google Maps: 4,377

Response to this blog has exceeded my wildest expectations. Just as I had hoped, our neighborhood's awesome history is being brought to the public's attention.


Why Neighborhood History is Important:

Homeowners care about their neighborhood’s reputation.

Neighborhood reputations shape sentiments about neighborhood quality.

History gives a neighborhood identity and stability.

A neighborhood’s history can improve its reputation and instill pride.